There are many benefits to becoming a United States citizen! U.S. citizens are able to vote and are given priority with respect to immigrating their family members. Most importantly, while lawful permanent residency can be taken away, except for certain rare circumstances, citizenship cannot be taken away.
There are two ways a person can become a U.S. citizen, (1) by birth or (2) by way of naturalization. Generally speaking, people are U.S. citizens by birth if they were born in the United States or one of its territories or if they were born to U.S. citizen parents. One can become a naturalized citizen if they are at least 18 years of age and file an “Application for Naturalization.”
The following are the requirements for naturalization:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least five years;
- Be a person of good moral character;
- Have a basic understanding of the English language;
- Have knowledge and understanding of the history of the United States and the form of government of the United States and
- Maintain continuous residence in the United States.
The immigration attorneys at Kersey & Sabawi can assist you in making your dream of becoming a U.S. citizen come true!
For more information or to schedule a free consultation, email us at email@example.com or call us at 619-399-3366 or 702-420-7257 .